Saturday, August 13, 2005

Father Neo?

This is so weird on so many different levels.... I'm not even sure where to start. I know I won't do justice with my comments ,but here goes anyway... Anyway the catholic church is recruiting for the priesthood. Hmmmm I am lapsed catholic and what do I know but this seems an odd way to do it.


I could comment on the fact that many believe the Matrix is based on gnostic themes. With books like Da Vinci Code, Holy Blood, Holy Grail , The Pagan Christ and those schools of thought is that Christianity is a Hodge podge other religions and belief systems anyway. It is a master of taking bits of everything popular to the people to sell it's church. But The Matrix? Bizarre.

But really I can't help focusing on other parts of this part of the article.

Father Meyer said the poster, on which he is featured as the "Matrix"-style priest, had its origins in a skit that he saw during his first year at the North American College, the U.S. seminary in Rome. The skit, put on by a group of older seminarians, was based on the film. In it, a group of priests fought Satan in a series of mock martial-arts confrontation.

I really had no idea of what goes on in the seminary and never really gave it any thought before now. But the idea that older seminarians are putting on plays where they fight Satan with martial arts never ever would have crossed my mind had you asked. Did they replace the exorcism class with the defense against dark arts via martial arts class?
Ok and this...

Father Meyer said it got a huge response. "They were going like hotcakes. Young kids wanted them to hang in their bedrooms, high school students wanted them to hang in their lockers," he said. "That is invaluable. If we can get kids to hang a picture of a priest in their room, we've done something huge for vocations."

If was a parent and my kids starting putting pictures of priests on their walls and lockers, I think this would really really disturb me. I just think that is wrong on so many different levels.

So the catholic church is trying to be hip and happening and relevant I wonder if they should perhaps maybe maybe consider oh say how about women as priests or maybe gays. Or hell , why not allow priests to marry? Seems like too much trouble.... Let's just make this cool pin up poster for the young un's to hang on their walls ...

No comments: